Wednesday, June 22, 2011

And Then There's...Lola, Part 2

"Honey, you're playing D consolation in Louisville, be happy there's even a net!"

I sure wish I was there to see that.  The story goes, that was Lola's response to a few players who were upset that their consolation match was off the main tournament site at courts that apparently did not meet there standards.  The center strap was missing.   From what I hear these particular players were pissed, and Lola's smart mouth didn't help.  Of course, I nearly peed my pants when I heard the story.  I loved it.  I thought it was hysterical.

So as you can imagine from my previous post, this was to become fodder for Lola at the banquet.  The pissed players got wind of it over dinner and stormed out of the banquet.  They left.  Of course, that too nearly made me pee my pants.  I mean, come on, it's Lola.  This is what she does.  Take a joke already.

I had my own run in with Lola at one of the banquets.  It was my first tournament in Louisville and I had no idea what to expect at the banquet.  When Lola called my name as the Fashion Plate of the Tournament, I thought great.  I couldn't seem to win a match at that damn tournament, but at least I was being honored for my great sense of style and fashion.  Then I got on stage and she made a smart ass comment about me being the only one in the tournament to wear Lycra and a lime green thong.

WHAT! I don't wear Lycra, and I don't wear thongs.  I knew not what she was talking about.  Not to be all TMI, but I couldn't possibly wear a thong.  Let's just say, body hair would not permit this and leave it at that.  I think she had mistaken my orange jock strap for a lime green thong.  She's color-blind, is all I can think.  Tell me, does this look like a lime green thong:
Dramatic reenactment, not a picture from my actual win as Fashion Plate of the Tournament.
I didn't think so.  I told you...color blind!

So why am I telling you all this?  Because I want you to be aware of what's in store, but also because I hope that you will enjoy the banquet in Louisville as much as I have over the years.  I adore the guys who put on this tournament.  They work hard to pull this event together, and the banquet in Louisville is, in my opinion, one of the best banquets that I've been to on the GLTA tour.  And honestly, Lola's a big part of the reason why.  She's funny.  She doesn't mean any harm.  You just can't take her seriously, you know, like most of her dates.  She helps make not just the banquet but the whole tournament more fun. 

Now Lola, if you're reading this, forget everything I just wrote.  You know it pains me to say anything kind or nice about you.

3 comments:

  1. Sure wish *I* could be at the banquet this year. I wouldn't wear a thong either, but I might don a little Lycra.

    Enjoy yourself at the tourney, Thom! Please don't pee your pants or storm out of the tournament; otherwise, have a grand ol' time. Can't wait to see lots of pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at thong on this one! And jock straps too! Get der attention!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post tom! lord knows what she will say this year!!! Nelson

    ReplyDelete