Sunday, May 29, 2011

WTF!

I had a blog all written that I planned to get out with more information to get your ready for Louisville.
And then I went to Park Road Park to play tennis today.
I usually use the month leading up to a tournament to get ready for play-you know, get in a groove with my strokes, work on fitness, and schedule matches with lesser players to gain confidence- the usual.  I have been looking forward to this weekend, as I have four days off in a row with little to do.  Nothing planned!  Works been busy, I’ve had a couple out-of-town work retreats, and I’m taking a short session grad class.  I've been busy.  On top of that, I’ve been battling a hip injury for the past eight months or so that has limited my play. And now my shoulder wants in on the injury game. I’ve played like twice in the past month.
I was very excited to get out there and play this weekend.  I got to the courts and hit for about 25 minutes before I felt sick to my stomach, nauseas, and light-headed.  This is the second week in a row this has happened; only last week I actually vomited on the court.
WTF!
That’s what I was left thinking.  WTF!  When did this happen?  When did I get old?  When did my age start to interfere with my tennis playing ability?
Now mind you, I don’t think I’m “old” or at death’s door here.  I’ll be 40 this year, and I’m looking forward to it.  I know in the grand scheme of things I'm relatively young.  I’ve never had a problem with getting older like some of my friends.  But damn it, if getting older is going to interfere with my game, I don’t want any part of it.
I’m certainly no example of physical fitness, but I have had a certain level of fitness that allows me to compete.  It has become harder to maintain that level with injuries and the longer amount of time it takes to recover after physical activity.  Just a few short years ago I played tennis for six hours at a clip with my friends.  I can’t imagine what that would be like now.  It’s not uncommon to play up to four matches on the first day of a GLTA tournament.  I’m not even sure I could do that right now.  When did that happen?  I imagine it was right around the time I got old.
This has all gotten me thinking-what would it be like to not be able to play tennis anymore, to not be able to play these GLTA tournaments?  It’s not even something I want to think about right now.  I’ve gained so much from playing these tournaments-a sense of belonging, greater confidence, and some really great friends (met my best friend Grant, also my doubles partner for the past five years, at a tournament in Tampa one year).  At some point, physically, I will not be able to compete at these tournaments and I don’t like the thought of it.  I know that time is not now.  I guess I’m just feeling a little sorry for myself because I've been feeling age's pull lately and I can’t do what I have always done to get ready for these tournaments.
So for the next month, I’ll work hard on my fitness, take baby steps out there in the heat of the summer, stretch and eat right to help my body recover better, and just get ready for Louisville.  I’m not ready to give up these tournaments.  I’m not ready to give up on developing more friendships like I have over the past eight years of playing these tournaments. If you have any tips for me, let me know.  I’d love to hear about them.
And hey at the very least I can start playing the 40+ division this year.  I’d like to think I can still beat  up on the really old men out there.

P.S.-Today is the early-bird deadline to register for Louisville.  Enter today and you'll be included in a drawing for a free entry to next year's tournament.

3 comments:

  1. Well as a recently turned 40-year-young individual, I can relate to what you're feeling. A week after my 40th birthday, I injured my knee when I went for a run. I was extremely frustrated because I really wanted to play softball this year. I usually play in an incredibly competitve league and at my age, any injury limits my ability to contribute to the team.

    That being said, you're on the right track. I started eating right, exercising and working on my flexibility. Within a month, my knee was healed and I was ready to play. I only missed 3 games. Choosing to sit out temporarily is the reason why I have every bit of confidence that I will finish the season and contribute in our team's effort to win another championship. Keep on keeping on. The good thing about getting old is that younger competitors underestimate us and we gain the advantage of the all-important competitive edge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK. Lets face it, age sucks when it comes to fitness. I decided two years ago that I would return to tennis, I started playing regularly, even joining a league. For some reason (ego), I never really liked doubles. I'd much rather be out there alone. Fast forward, my last tennis tournament resulted in surgery on both knees at one month intervals. I asked him to do both at the same time but the Dr. actually mentioned fear of blood clots. BLOOD CLOTS? good god, that is for old men, not me.

    As you can tell, I have never really gotten back to it. I use my knees as my excuse much like I used by back in the past. I appreciate the issue of fitness, it just seems like staying fit is a much more complicated process.

    The good news is that you are back out there. Stay with it and thanks for sharing the realities of life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, aging.... I've said it before and I'll say it again. Growing older takes grace... a lot of it! As I rapidly approach 44 (like 36 hours from now), I'm regularly reminded that I can't run as fast as I used to (ask anyone who's ever run a 5K with me), I can't keep up with my kids on the tennis court, and every ounce of my body is looser and lower. :) BUT, I agree with kenyon... the best part of being older then our competitors is that we're more wise, mindful, and self-confident (on and off the court). And we're still at it....running, skiing, tennis, you name it. Just no shuffleboard, please! So have at it... and have FUN!

    ReplyDelete