Saturday, May 21, 2011

Getting Ready for The Bluegrass Tennis Open, July 2-4, 2011

Hey there tennis fans!  I'm Thom Shepard and I will be writing a blog leading up to the 2011 Bluegrass Tennis Open.  The Bluegrass is a stop on the GLTA World Tour.  The 2nd  edition of this, tournament is sponsered by the Tennis Alliance of Louisville Kentucky (TALK) and will be held over the 4th of July holiday weekend.

I know you're wondering, why is he writing a blog, and what could he have to share with me that's important?  Well the answer is simple...this is one of my favorite stops on the tour and one of the places I've had the most fun.  It was the first tournament I played, what seems like a 100 years ago, but was probably more like five or six years ago.  I had no idea what to expect, and I was inimdated  by what I would encounter at my first "gay tennis tournamnet".  I mean, I was wondering, what is a "gay tennis tournament" anyway? 

What I hope to do between now and the time we show up in Louisville for the tournament is take a sometimes humorous, sometimes serious, and hopefully always helpful look at what you can expect at the tournament and how you can best prepare for the competition.  I'll share some information about the tournament itself, the city of Louisville (I love it!) and some of the fun times you'll have and the people you may meet when you're there.  I'm not part of the planning committee, so I'm not an official communication vehicle for the tournament, but I will work to help get their information out there for you too.  And I want to hear from you about what you want to hear about!  This will work best if we start some conversation here.  I'm no more of an expert than you.  Share what you know here.  I'm going to try to post two to three times a week leading up to the tournament.

So there you have it.  I hope this will be helpful and fun.  In the meantime, if you haven't already, you can like the 2011 tournament on facebook.  And let me know-what do you want to know about leading up to the tournament?  You have any funny stories to share about a past trip to Louisville?  Let me know!

Thom

3 comments:

  1. Nice intro Thom. I love how you embedded the "like link" to Facebook!! It seesm like perfect timing with the class finishing up just before the tournament. Hopefully you can keep it going for the newbies next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks St. Patrick...I didn't even know you play tennis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great timing for a topic choice. I would love to learn more about how the tournament started and what it's evolved to. Do you keep in contact with folks in the tournament throughout the year? Great topic!

    ReplyDelete